Sunday, February 26, 2012

Test-Driven Infrastructure with Chef

I just finished Test-Driven Infrastructure with Chef, and I was disappointed.  It's a short book (88 pages if you read the paper version), and out of the 7 chapters, only one (chapter 6) contains what I expect from an O'Reilly book.

But it's hard to blame the author: he didn't claim the book is "Learning Chef" or "Programming Chef". 

The book is an appetizer of what it claims to be: coverage of how to do test-driven infrastructure using Chef.  Unfortunately, the author takes up most of the book to explain what he means by "Test-Driven Infrastructure", and the page count is so small that there simply is not enough meat to satisfy hungry readers.  Additionally, readers who are already familiar with Behavior-Driven Development and DevOps won't find much new here.

My suggestion: skip this and wait to see what the author produces in his forthcoming book on Chef itself.

 [Disclaimer: I got this book for free as part of the Oreilly blogger review program I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”]

No comments: